⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols (resulting from a GRIB2 proposal)

From: Martina Stockhause <martina.stockhause>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:47:57 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

> Although the discussion was difficult, we did in the end reach an agreement
> to use the phrase "moles_of_X_in_atmosphere" for "burden".

Thank you and sorry, Jonathan and Veronika, I should read thoroughly.

> > column_integrated_mass_density_of_X_in_air : kg.m-2
> In existing standard names, this is called "atmosphere_mass_content_of_X",

ok

> > tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_X_due_to_chemical_gross_production :
> > mol.m-3.s-1
> > tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_X_due_to_chemical_gross_destruction :
> > mol.m-3.s-1
>
> I think these should have "X_in_air", corresponding to existing standard
> names of mole_concentration_of_X_in_sea_water.

That is more precise. Yes, thanks.

> > total_yearly_average_burden_of_X_in_atmosphere : mol
>
> That is moles_of_X_in_atmosphere, as above. The "yearly average" is
> indicated by the time-bounds and the cell_methods.

You are right of cause. We have to use CF standard name plus these attributes
in the GRIB2 proposal.

> > total_yearly_averaged_atmospheric_loss_of_X : mol.s-1
>
> What does "loss" mean? Is this the time-derivative with a negative sign, or
> some specific removal processes?

It is the temporal change in the total number of molecules in the atmosphere
as result of all chemical and physical processes in the atmosphere. Thus we
can use the existing:
tendency_of_moles_of_X_in_atmosphere

> > surface_area_density_of_X : m-1
>
> How is this defined?

This is the surface area of aerosol per volume of atmosphere (i.e.
m2.m-3=m-1) .

Have a nice weekend
Martina