⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standardized region names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:11:59 +0100

Dear Jon

> I just noticed the list of standardized region names on the CF
> website. Is there a list of standard lat-lon boxes (or polygons) that
> match the entries in this list?

I don't think the regions can be exactly standardised, because part of the
reason for having names is in order to be somewhat "vague". Just as a common
standard name is given to quantities from different data sources when those
quantities are regarded as comparable, the same standard region name would
be given to data which represent the same region in a way which is regarded
as comparable. For instance, different GCMs do not have exactly the same shape
for the Atlantic Ocean, but Atlantic meridional overturning streamfunctions
are calculated from each model, and these are regarded as comparable.