⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standardized region names

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:47:25 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

Yes, I understand. However are there not also some standard regions
with defined lat-lon extents (such as NINO3) that might be worth
expressing?

Regards, Jon

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Jonathan Gregory
<j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Jon
>
>> I just noticed the list of standardized region names on the CF
>> website. Is there a list of standard lat-lon boxes (or polygons) that
>> match the entries in this list?
>
> I don't think the regions can be exactly standardised, because part of the
> reason for having names is in order to be somewhat "vague". Just as a common
> standard name is given to quantities from different data sources when those
> quantities are regarded as comparable, the same standard region name would
> be given to data which represent the same region in a way which is regarded
> as comparable. For instance, different GCMs do not have exactly the same shape
> for the Atlantic Ocean, but Atlantic meridional overturning streamfunctions
> are calculated from each model, and these are regarded as comparable.
>
> Best wishes

Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
Environmental Systems Science Centre
University of Reading
Harry Pitt Building, 3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL. UK