⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standardized region names

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:24:07 +0100

I agree- I didn't think that these things should be in the CF
standard, but the names on their own are of limited use without the
corresponding polygons...

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence at rl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Jon
>
> In the longer term it's my opinion that CF should point to a more authorative
> gazateer which does have whatever polygon info that can be made available.
> CF shouldn't be in the business of doing all things for all people :-)
>
> Cheers
> Bryan
>
> On Wednesday 20 August 2008 18:44:23 Velimir Mlaker1 wrote:
>> Dear Olivier and Jon,
>>
>> The list of regions can be found here:
>> http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standardized-region-na
>>mes
>>
>> The link is broken in versions 1.0 and 1.1 of CF Conventions document.
>> Until I fix this, consider using the latest version at
>> http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.3.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Velimir
>>
>> olivier lauret wrote:
>> > Dear Jon,
>> >
>> > I'm also interested in this; it seems there is a broken link on CF
>> > website, I can't access to the list of regions (http:// www.
>> > cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/region.html)?.. Otherwise the only
>> > reference I know concerning such standard lat-lon boxes are the ones
>> > provided by International Hydrographic Organization document.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Olivier

Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
Environmental Systems Science Centre
University of Reading
Harry Pitt Building, 3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL. UK