⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical coordinates

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:53:57 +0100

Dear Jon

> standard_name="time"
> units="seconds since 1970-01-01"
>
> i.e. the units specify the coordinate system. By analogy we could
> have, for the vertical coordinate:
>
> standard_name="depth"
> units="metres below geoid" (or "metres below reference ellipsoid") etc.

I would say it is the treatment of time which is anomalous. COARDS did have
some other uses of units to identify quantities, but CF deprecates this. We
took the view that the quantity should be described by other attributes, and
the units should be general-purpose udunits-compliant ones.

So I think the best course is to propose some precise standard names for
your needs.