⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] attributes for min/max data valuesfor visualization

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:11:14 -0400

This "breaks" when you subset data via opendap, for example,
doesn't it? I agree that it could be useful for discovery and for
apps like contouring, but it will need to be used carefully.

Although the name would be "actual_min" (or max), the definition
would need to specify that it include only valid data values, otherwise
it won't be useful. Maybe actual_valid_min (or max) would be more
clear, and would save the overhead that the use of valid_min/max
incurs.

Cheers - Nan

> Since Jon mentions me in this thread I'll put in my brief contribution,
> although I agree very much with the discussion so far.
>
> Despite the limitations I think we really need these attributes. At
> BADC we are either putting custom attributes in the NetCDF or setting
> approximate min/max in configuration files. A standard approach would
> be a great improvement.
>
> I too like actual_min/max.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen.
>
> ---
> Stephen Pascoe +44 (0)1235 445980
> British Atmospheric Data Centre
> Rutherford Appleton Laboratory

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *