⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] question concerning a CF metafile data name

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:21:52 +0100

Dear Tommy

The phrase in_air was included to make clear that this quantity was one
measured in air rather than in some other medium, especially sea water.
We have some radiance standard_names with in_sea_water (though not longwave).

I agree with Alison that to specify the range of wavelengths to which the
radiance applied one would use a coordinate variable or scalar coordinate
variable of radiation_wavelength, and the most obvious interpretation would be
that this is the wavelength in air. However if you want to be more precise
we could define standard names of radiation_wavelength_in_air and
radiation_wavelength_in_vacuum.

Cheers

Jonathan