⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] question concerning a CF metafile data name

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:05:08 +0100

Dear Tommy,

The name isotropic_longwave_radiance_in _air measured in W m-2 sr-1 is
a measure in air of the longwave (i.e. infrared) energy flux through a
unit area per unit time per unit solid angle. I think that this does
rather imply that the wavelengths are those measured in air, but the
range of wavelengths is not precisely specified. In climate models of
the earth the wavelengths of longwave radiation emitted by the
surface and atmosphere will typically be in the range of 4 - 25
micrometers. By contrast, "shortwave" would mean solar radiation in the
range approximately 0.4 - 4 micrometers. The precise range of
wavelengths included in "longwave" and "shortwave" may vary from one
model to another. If you wish to specify an exact range of wavelengths
I think you could use the standard name radiation_wavelength for a
variable giving the upper and lower bounds.

I hope this goes some way towards answering your question.

Best wishes,

Alison

------

Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065

NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314

Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk

Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.