⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Missing standardnames for our our ocean model MPI-OM

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:48:16 +0100

Dear Martina

I think these additions would be useful. I have some comments on detail of
some of them.

> 1. richardson_number; 1

I'd suggest this should be richardson_number_in_sea_water since it could also
be defined in air.

> 2. viscosity and diffusivity measures:
> sea_water_vertical_viscosity; m2 s-1
> sea_water_vertical_diffusivity; m2 s-1
> sea_water_vertical_diffusivity_due_to_wind; m2 s-1

We have existing standard names
  atmosphere_heat_diffusivity
  atmosphere_momentum_diffusivity
  ocean_isopycnal_layer_thickness_diffusivity
all m2 s-1, so for precision and consistency I would suggest yours should be
  ocean_vertical_momentum_diffusivity
  ocean_vertical_tracer_diffusivity
Viscosity is also a quantity in kg m-1 s-1, so "momentum diffusivity" (also
sometimes called "kinematic viscosity") is more precise. Could you describe
what you mean by "due to wind" in the case of diffusivity?

> 3. water_flux_in_ocean_without_flux_correction; m s-1 [kg m-2 s-1]

It might be clearer to say what *is* included rather than what is *not*
included. What do you include in this water flux?

We define distinct standard names for quantities with different units. If the
quantity is in kg m-2 s-1 it is a water flux. If it is in m s-1 it is something
else; we don't have a standard name for that at present, but it's like the
rainfall_rate I suppose, for instance.