⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name proposal for CCMVal

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:09:27 +0000

Dear Philip and Alison

> On the issue of the definitions for Cly, NOx, NMVOC, and other chemical
> families, it is true that different models can include different species
> in a family. However, the family is typically useful because the total has
> a meaning independent of the exact split between its component
> parts, so that output of families from different models will be somewhat
> comparable.

I agree with that, so I think we only need a rough definition of them rather
than a precise enumeration of species.

> The question of 'passive' can also be discussed on the flip-side by
> discussing opposite: 'interactive'. Chemicals can be interactive with
> other chemicals, aerosols, clouds, radiation, wet & dry deposition, and
> vegetation, among other things. Thus a tracer can be passive to any
> combination of such interactions. Handling all the possibilities through
> the standard names probably wouldn't be feasible.

I see. But at the moment I am quite unclear what "passive ozone" means in the
list of proposed names. In this particular case, as an illustration, can you
say what is supposed to be included and what is not? That is, what would be
said in the definition of the proposed standard name?