⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name proposal for CCMVal

From: Philip J. Cameronsmith1 <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:52:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi Alison, et al.

On the burden issue I would say that I am pretty much on-the-fence. I see
the merits of both arguments. I would also say that both options are
good, so I don't think there is a wrong choice.

The question of 'passive' can also be discussed on the flip-side by
discussing opposite: 'interactive'. Chemicals can be interactive with
other chemicals, aerosols, clouds, radiation, wet & dry deposition, and
vegetation, among other things. Thus a tracer can be passive to any
combination of such interactions. Handling all the possibilities through
the standard names probably wouldn't be feasible.

Would there be a way of listing the 'interactions' or 'non-interactions'
somewhere else in the metadata?

Alternatively, most of the combinations of interactions will never be
used in practice. Would it be possible to have standard names for
passive1, passive2, passive3, etc, with the combination of interactions
defined for each case as needed?

On the issue of the definitions for Cly, NOx, NMVOC, and other chemical
families, it is true that different models can include different species
in a family. However, the family is typically useful because the total has
a meaning independent of the exact split between its component
parts, so that output of families from different models will be somewhat
comparable.

This issue is similar to the challenge of defining 'ozone production'.
In that case, I believe CF decided that the merits of including the
quantity outweighed the ambiguity in the definition. I believe the same
should be true here too.

Best wishes,

      Philip