⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:59:35 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

> > On the other hand, if these two particular quantities are commonly
used
> > remote sensing products whose definition never varies perhaps they
> > should
> > have distinct standard names. I think the deciding factor should be
> > whether it is likely that other, similar quantities are likely to be
> > needed in the future with slightly different depth/frequency
> > characteristics.
>
> I agree with that, but I think that if their defining characteristic
is
> *how*
> they are measured i.e. it is an observational quantity, whose physical
> interpretation is that it is a (sub)skin temperature, then perhaps the
> name
> should indicate how they are measured as being the principal fact
about
> these
> quantities.

Are you then suggesting that we should have a name of the form:
sea_water_temperature_measured_by_radiometer
with frequency and depth given as coordinate variables? Or have I
misunderstood?

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.