⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Olivier Lauret <olauret>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:25:03 +0200

Dear Jonathan and Alison,

Maybe such information (sensor, frequency or wavelenght, the way data is
measured) might be supported by other (discovery) metadata outside the
netCDF header. For example that is the way project like Seadatnet
(http://www.seadatanet.org/) choosed to proceed, by integrating some
vocabulary to declare sensors in general, including remote sensing (Roy
Lowry from BODC worked on it), in a separate table. According to me, we
should take care to separate as possible the sensor type from the standard
name, because the standard name might be not able to identify all, but only
the physical quantity. In our case I agree the quantity is linked to the
way it is measured, besides this is quite the same with satellite altimetry..
In my opinion, standard names should stay like
"sea_surface_temperature_in_subskin_layer", and then why not completed
using the "comments" attribute with information that says that it was
acquired from microwave radiometer operating in the 6-11 GHz frequency
band. I believe this might be enough to distinguish this quantity from
another, and anyway the information "radiometer" and "6-11 GHz" should find
above all an important place in the discovery metadata outside the file,
shouldn't they?

Kind regards

Olivier

Le 12:59 19/07/2007,Pamment, JA (Alison) ?crit: