⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:19:20 +0100

Dear Alison

> On the other hand, if these two particular quantities are commonly used
> remote sensing products whose definition never varies perhaps they
> should
> have distinct standard names. I think the deciding factor should be
> whether it is likely that other, similar quantities are likely to be
> needed in the future with slightly different depth/frequency
> characteristics.

I agree with that, but I think that if their defining characteristic is *how*
they are measured i.e. it is an observational quantity, whose physical
interpretation is that it is a (sub)skin temperature, then perhaps the name
should indicate how they are measured as being the principal fact about these
quantities.