⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for mercury in the gas?phase

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:33:51 +0100

Dear Roy

> The oxygen example isn't a direct analogue because oxygen isn't partitioned between the gaseous and aerosol phases. Therefore there is no ambiguity resulting from 'gaseous' being implicit. Mercury is present in both phases making it different and needing 'gaseous' stated explicitly.

Yes, all right. A better analogy then is with "water vapor" and "liquid water"
in the atmosphere, so I agree with Christiane and you that we need "gaseous
mercury". I think "mercury vapour" would be an alternative but both phrases
appear to be in use.

I am sure you are right about Hg2+ as well, so now I see the distinction
Christiane is drawing between elemental and divalent. I would have understood
"mercury_atoms" and "mercury2+_ions", but I am not used to chemical
terminology. I suppose that by "mercury" we would mean both Hg and Hg2+.

Cheers

Jonathan