⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Are There Best Practices for Developing New NetCDF Conventions?

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 02:34:32 +0100

Dear All,

Couple of points on this thread.

The use of slashes as separators worries me. They have caused more side effects than anything else in my experience, particularly when then end up in a RESTful service URL. All it takes is a service call addressing the extended attribute for this to happen.

In many other communities the colon is becoming THE established namespace delimiter, such as the OGC standard URN syntax. SeaDataNet have followed this and the syntax has been recommended by MMI. Could the NetCDF side effect of the colon be addressed in some way?

Steve's inclusion in his posting about referring to an attribute by another name could be addressed through the ontology proposal that we discussed in Paris.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Philip Bentley <philip.bentley at metoffice.gov.uk> 07/11/07 9:11 AM >>>
Hi John

Rather than invent another namespace separator - with potentially
unforeseen side-effects - might an alternative solution be simply to use
XML itself? For example:

  char time(record=63, time_len=21);
    time:long_name = "forecast date and time";
    time:xml_attr = "<dc:title>Field Guide To CF</dc:title>
    time:xml_attr = "<dc:creator>J R Luser</dc:creator>

or

  char time(record=63, time_len=21);
    time:long_name = "forecast date and time";
    time:xml_metadata = "<dc:title>Field Guide To
CF</dc:title><dc:creator>J R Luser</dc:creator> ... "

However, I guess the logical end game, using this approach, would be to
put ALL the CF metadata in a single attribute!

  char time(record=63, time_len=21);
    time:xml_metadata = "<cf:long_name>forecast date and
time</cf:long_name><cf:standard_name>time</cf:standard_name><dc:title>Field Guide To CF</dc:title><dc:creator>J R Luser</dc:creator> ... "

Gulp!!

Regards,

Phil