⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Gaussian Lat/Lon grids

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:26:28 -0600

Hi John,

In order to construct latitude cell bounds so that the cell areas give
identical integrals over the surface of a unit sphere to those that would
be obtained by Gaussian integration, we do the following:

Let phi(j), j = 1, nlat be the Gauss points ordered from S.P. to N.P.

Let phi_bnd(j), j = 1, nlat+1 be the latitude cell edges which satisfy

 phi_bnd(j) < phi(j) < phi_bnd(j+1) for all j = 1, nlat

 and phi_bnd(1) = -pi/2, phi_bnd(nlat+1) = pi/2.

Let gw(j), j = 1, nlat be the Gauss weights corresponding to Gauss points
phi(j).

In psuedo code:

sin_phi_bnd(1) = -1.0

do j = 1, nlat

  sin_phi_bnd(j+1) = sin_phi_bnd(j) + gw(j)

end do

Then compute corresponding latitudes by taking arc sine.

Note that since sin_phi_bnd(1) = -1, and since the Gauss weights sum to
2.0, then sin_phi_bnd(nlat+1) will equal 1.0 to within the accuracy that
the Gauss weights sum to 2.0. We generally set sin_phi_bnd(nlat+1) = 1.0
and let the accumulated error in the sum of the Gauss weights (hopefully at
the double precision roundoff level) be included in the last latitude cell.

Brian