⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Christiane.Textor at lsce.ipsl.fr <Christiane.Textor>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 08:39:00 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Jonathan, Bryan, and Alison,

After some serious thinking :) I would still opt for the clearest and
most general solution and always use the "tendency names":

tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_Z

X:
mole/number/mass_fraction
concentration
mass/number/mole_content
etc.

Y:
species

Z:
emission
dry/wet_deposition
emission_at_the_surface
dry/wet_deposition_to_the_surface
chemical_gross|net_production|destruction

This is the most general way of expressing 2d fluxes (from the surface)
and other 3d changes within the atmosphere (emissions or chemical
sources/sinks). The emission/dry/wet/deposition_at/to_the_surface names
are again a subgroup to the more general names referring to 3d
emissions/dry/wet/deposition.

Unfortunately this means a major change to the names for fluxes from/to
the surface, we already had agreed on, but I think it is better to
modify them now for the sake of generality and clarity. In addition,
this semantic can easily be extended.

Best regards,
Christiane

--
==new affiliation==new affiliation==new affiliation==new affiliation==
 Christiane Textor
 mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
 Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07
 F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex