⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard Name Query

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:55:58 +0100

Hello Jonathan,

In the process of implementing the Standard Name aliases in the phenomenon ontology I'm building I came across the following anomaly:

surface_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air = surface_downwelling_shortwave_flux
surface_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air_assuming_clear_sky = surface_downwelling_shortwave_flux_assuming_clear_sky
surface_upwelling_longwave_flux_in_air = surface_upwelling_longwave_flux
surface_upwelling_longwave_flux_in_air_assuming_clear_sky = surface_upwelling_longwave_flux_assuming_clear_sky
surface_upwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air = surface_upwelling_shortwave_flux
surface_upwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air_assuming_clear_sky = surface_upwelling_shortwave_flux_assuming_clear_sky

BUT

surface_downwelling_longwave_flux_in_air = surface_downwelling_longwave_flux
surface_downwelling_longwave_flux_in_air_assuming_clear_sky = surface_downwelling_longwave_flux

>From the pattern, I would have expected to find a Standard Name 'surface_downwelling_longwave_flux_assuming_clear_sky', which doesn't appear to be there mapped to 'surface_downwelling_longwave_flux_in_air_assuming_clear_sky'. The reason I'm worried about this is that once I point an inference engine at the relationships I'm going to end up with the relationship:

surface_downwelling_longwave_flux_in_air = surface_downwelling_longwave_flux_in_air_assuming_clear_sky

which doesn't strike me as the intention. Should we set up the missing name and switch the alias link?

Cheers, Roy.