⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 22:11:51 +0200

Dear Jonathan and Alison,

You are now suggesting to use the "tendency names" for 2 cases:

tendency_of_atmospheric_X_due_to_emission
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_due_to_chemical_gross|net_production|destruction

and the more "colloquial names" for all others

surface_dry|wet_deposition_X_flux_of_Y
surface_emission_X_flux_of_Y

I think for the sake of consistency there are 2 possibilities:
1) the tendency names should always be used
2) the tendency names should only be used in those case, when there is
no other possibility (as for the first one mentioned above)

In your recent email, however, you propose a mixture of these
approaches, that is not obvious to me.

I prefer the first possibility, that is the clearest approach.

For possibility 2) I would find it more consistent to stick to the
original idea of using
chemical_net|gross_destruction|production_rate_of_X_due_to_Y

To speed up the process I would suggest a little teleconference where we
clarify these issues and the remaining others to concerning aerosol and
chemistry names. We can then summerize the result and post to the CF
mailing list.

Best regards,
Christiane

     Christiane Textor