⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] attributes for min/max data values for visualization

From: Stephen Pascoe <S.Pascoe>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:10:43 +0100

I would also like to express some reservations about the usefulness of
simple min/max attributes for the purpose John suggests (calculating
appropriate colourbar ranges in visualisations). My experience is that
a single pair of values is only relevant at a particular scale. Once
you start subsetting a domain there's a good chance the actual min/max
will be substantially different.

For instance, taking an example from the IPCC data distribution centre,
we have a diurnal temperature range field with a min--max of ca. 1--40
deg_c. However, half of this range is due to the variation over
Greenland during the winter. Subset anywhere else and the max is more
like 20 deg_c. Similarly, the maximum temperature field varies between
ca. -50 and +45 deg_c but most subselections in time or space only cover
a fraction of this range.

There is no harm in having optional CF attributes for min and max but
I'm not convinced it will solve the problem. I like Steve's approach of
providing the extrema in auxiliary variables. In CF min/max can be
specified using the cell_methods attribute. What would be needed
something like Steve's "parent" attribute to specify two variables
represent the same field (with different cell_methods).

Cheers,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  01235 445980