⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] attributes for min/max data values for visualization

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:04:45 +0100

Hi Stephen et al.,

I have rediscovered this conversation in the depths of my inbox and
thought it might be worth resurrecting. To summarize the discussion
so far:

1) I proposed two new standard optional CF attributes (called
something like minimum_data_value and maximum_data_value) that would
be attached to a variable in a NetCDF file, redundantly holding its
actual min and max values in that file. As well as helping with data
mining applications, this would act as a hint to visualization
packages to provide a first attempt at automatically defining a colour
scale range for sensible portrayal. Note that this attribute pair is
distinct in purpose from valid_min and valid_max (which contains
theoretical extrema, beyond which data is considered invalid).

2) Steve Hankin proposed a more sophisticated approach whereby there
would be a min/max pair for each vertical level in the data.

3) Stephen Pascoe pointed out that spatial subsets will have different
min and max values so the value of the simplistic approach is limited.

Clearly both (2) and (3) are very valid points. But I still feel that
in a "bang for buck" approach, the simplest approach (1) still has
benefits. Even the simplest approach gives a sensible (if imperfect)
range of values, without which a visualization application has no idea
how to generate a colour scale, without extracting potentially-large
quantities of data. Furthermore it is very easy for an NcML
aggregation to look these min/max attributes in each file and generate
the min/max for the aggregated dataset. I mentioned visualization as
the primary use case for this proposal, but data mining apps can
benefit too: it would be much quicker and easier to answer questions
like, "which files contain temperatures above 30 degC"?

Stephen mentioned cell_methods, which I'm not expert in. If this
approach is to be adopted, do people think it would be best to express
the min/max as two attributes or in cell_methods?

Should this discussion be moved to the trac site?

Jon