⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:23:52 +0100

Dear Christiane

It is often hard to find the right line between familiarity and clarity of
terms! In this case, I think the ideas of surface emission and deposition as
fluxes are well known. I feel that an emission flux from the bulk of the
atmosphere was not an obvious idea, and that tendency due to emission is
clearer. I believe we agree on these choices, which are also
consistent with our names in other cases e.g. surface freshwater and energy
fluxes, versus tendency of atmosphere content of water and energy. Your
question here is whether production/destruction should be named as a "rate"
or a "tendency due to". I would be happy with either, to be honest. I think
rate (your preference) would clear enough. Yes, we could discuss on the phone
if we need to - and if we can arrange it :-).

----- Forwarded message from Christiane Textor <christiane.textor at gmx.de> -----