⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:30:35 +0100

Dear Christiane and Jonathan,

Sorry for entering late into this conversation. I like the idea of using tendency_of_X_of_Y_due_to_Z
(X=mass, mole concentration, etc, Y=species, Z=process). It is a good general naming convention.

Christiane wrote:

> The names for chemical production and loss rates would then remain:
>
> chemical_gross_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
> chemical_net_production_rate_of_X_of_Y

My understanding was that Jonathan was suggesting names of the form:
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_gross_production|destruction
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_net_production|destruction
as well as
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_emissions.
This seems to me to work well as a convention for all the emission/production/destruction names.

> For individual reactions the following names could be used:
> chemical_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
> chemical_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
> with an additional dimension giving the respective reactions.

My previous comments regarding the use of 'tendency' would also apply to these names. Regarding the dimension, CF1.0 Section 6 talks about the use of labels. These are provided in a string array and they are attached to a variable using the "coordinates" attribute. Bear in mind that, currently, the only standard labels that have been agreed are those for geographic region names. Having a list of standardized reaction names to use as labels would require a modification to the CF1.0 conventions. I suppose the alternative would be to have a new standard name for each reaction but I suspect that would be a lot of names. If you are content to use non-standardized reaction labels then you could certainly do so without the need for any modification to CF.

>new:
>tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_emissions
>To be more consistent with the surface flux names, I would suggest: >atmosphere_emission_X_tendency_of_Y

Personally, I prefer the first suggestion to having atmosphere_emission_X_tendency_of_Y. I agree with the point that Jonathan made that having 'tendency' at the beginning is more consistent with the standard name guidelines (and hence with existing names).

>In addition, the surface_emission_X_flux_of_Y
>is a subgroup of atmosphere_emission_X_tendency_of_Y
> no matter what name we finally choose. Do you agree?

I agree that emissions from the surface are a subset of total emissions into the atmosphere. We could include something in the definitions that explains the relationship between tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_emissions and surface_emission_X_flux_of_Y.

>unchanged:
>surface_dry_deposition_X_flux_of_Y
>surface_wet_deposition_X_flux_of_Y
>surface_emission_X_flux_of_Y

I agree that these names are fine as they are.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.