⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] attributes for min/max data values for visualization

From: Philip Bentley <philip.bentley>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:43:35 +0100

Hi Jon et al,

IMO, this idea seems commendable for actual min/max data values.
However, is there merit in adopting somewhat more specific, albeit
longer, attribute names? I'm thinking of the situation - contrived
perhaps - wherein a non-CF-savvy end-user of a netCDF file sees a
metadata attribute called "value_min" and asks the question "Minimum
value of what?".

Perhaps the answer is self-evident from context; that is, since the
attribute is attached (in the netCDF header) to the variable it
describes then the association is clear. But in a client software
application that association might not be so obvious.

In which case is it worth considering more verbose, but more descriptive
attribute names, e.g.

{ minimum_data_value, maximum_data_value }, or
{ minimum_variable_value, maximum_variable_value }

Just a suggestion!

Regards,

Phil

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 14:00 +0100, Jon Blower wrote:

> Dear Jonathan and list,
>
> Just to re-start this debate. The original question was whether there
> was (or could be) a pair of CF attributes to identify the min and max
> data values in a CF dataset for the purposes of aiding visualization
> tools to choose sensible colour scales.

<snip>