⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:14:51 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

The names for chemical production and loss rates would then remain:

chemical_gross_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
chemical_net_production_rate_of_X_of_Y

For individual reactions the following names could be used:
chemical_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
chemical_ production_rate_of_X_of_Y
with an additional dimension giving the respective reactions.

ok?

Your suggestion also leads to the following names:

unchanged:
surface_dry_deposition_X_flux_of_Y
surface_wet_deposition_X_flux_of_Y
surface_emission_X_flux_of_Y

new:
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_emissions
To be more consistent with the surface flux names, I would suggest:
atmosphere_emission_X_tendency_of_Y

In addition, the surface_emission_X_flux_of_Y
is a subgroup of atmosphere_emission_X_tendency_of_Y
no matter what name we finally choose. Do you agree?

Using
X mass-,number-,mole-concentration/fraction for 3d fields
X mass-,number-,mole-content for vertically integrated 2 d fields
Y species

Best wishes

Christiane

Jonathan Gregory a ?crit :
> Dear Christiane
>
> I had not intended that you should reconsider all of the names, but I see the
> advantage in what you propose. I would suggest a compromise. I think the
> surface emission, wet and dry deposition are OK as fluxes. I find it natural
> to consider them as fluxes, because there is a surface. Also, as you say, there
> is a normal sign convention for these. This is like fluxes of precipitation and
> evaporation, for which we have standard names.
>
> However, I don't find it natural to call the emission from a source within the
> atmosphere a "flux"; that's why I suggested tendency_of_atmosphere_X_content.
> But I think you are right that tendency_of_X_concentration_of_Y_due_to_Z
> (X=mole etc, Y=species) would a clear way of naming production and destruction.
> I think Z=gross/net_chemical_production/destruction would be more consistent
> with the standard name guidelines than putting gross/net_tendency.
>
> Best wishes

Christiane Textor
Service d'A?ronomie INSU CNRS, Tour 46, RDC # 2
Universit? Pierre et Marie Curie, Boite 102
4 place Jussieu
75252 Paris C?dex 05
France
Tel: ++33 1.44.27.21.82