⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] unique identifiers

From: Luis Bermudez <bermudez>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:47:22 -0700

John,

I don't see a problem of downloading all the page from the server and
then let the client process the fragment. More comments inline.

-Luis

On Mar 23, 2007, at 2:21 PM, John Graybeal wrote:

> Luis,
>
> I got this from the WebIdentifiers page at https://
> www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/AppSchemas/WebIdentifiers:
> "However, it is important to realise that the fragment is not
> passed in the http request - rather, it is the responsibility of
> the client to process the fragment identifier to obtain a sub-
> resource from within a potentially much larger resource, all of
> which must be transferred prior to the client-side operation. "

This is true

> Your reference was helpful but confusing to me, a naif. In one
> place it says "The fragment identifier functions differently than
> the rest of the URI: namely, its processing is exclusively client-
> side with no participation from the server. When an agent (such as
> a Web browser) requests a resource from a Web server, the agent
> sends the URI to the server, but does not send the fragment.
> Instead, the agent waits for the server to send the resource, and
> then the agent processes the resource according to the fragment
> value. " This confirms the above.

yes

> In another place it says "In RDF vocabularies, such as RDFS, OWL,
> or SKOS, fragment identifiers are used to identify resources in the
> same XML Namespace, but are not necessarily corresponding to a
> specific part of a document." I suppose this does not necessarily
> conflict with the previous, but....
>
> We are perhaps conflating functionality because we are making the
> server respond to a URL (but the server won't see the fragment part
> of the URL), but then expecting RDF clients to do something
> different with the same URL. From your comment "The way you are
> suggesting will confuse semantic web tools" I infer there is a set
> methodology used by semantic web tools that relies on this fragment
> notation. Would that methodology also be totally broken by URNs,
> or does it take their format into account?

1) I checked with the latest JENA API (to be sure) and is not
producing any errors when constructing the URI as you are suggesting.
Maybe they already solved this issue.

2) Problems is if we give the ontology namespace without the fragment
separator"/" it will confuse ontology tools, for example while using
Protege we need to add the namespace manually.

3) If we want to use friendly HTML pages we will have to break the
presentation of the terms in different pages, each page per term,
which means create hundreds of pages for a single vocabulary.

- Luis