⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] unique identifiers

From: Philip Bentley <philip.bentley>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:25:11 +0000

Hi Michael et al.,

For information only, but in the hope that it may help inform this
debate, the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) has produced a best
practice document that describes a standard mechanism for using URNs to
reference various abstract concepts and resources, especially those
relating to coordinate reference systems (e.g. datums, ellipsoids, prime
meridians, etc). The URNs follow the format
"urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG:6.3:26986" (for a CRS defined in the EPSG
codespace, in this example).

The document is called "Definition identifier URNs in the OGC
namespace". It can be obtained at the following URL:

http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/bp

It might provide some useful pointers and/or guidance.

Regards,

Phil