⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question about Coordinate System

From: Philip Bentley <philip.bentley>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:13:00 +0000

Hi All,

Following discussions with Jonathan I have offered to work up an initial
specification document describing additional CF grid mapping attributes
suitable for recording common coordinate reference system (CRS)
parameters. The intention is to base these upon existing CRS
standardisation initiatives being worked on by OGC, EPSG and others.
Consequently, the initial proposals are likely to focus on 2D
geographic/projected CRS's, and associated geodetic datums, since (a)
the aforementioned standards initiatives historically have also focussed
on such CRS's, and (b) it reflects my own knowledge base. As an earth
scientist I'm afraid that I have scant knowledge of, for example,
engineering CRS's!

Hopefully, however, this initial specification will provide a useful
document for further discussion, elaboration and refinement.

Kind Regards,

Phil
--
Phil Bentley PhD  CR Data Applications Manager
Met Office  Hadley Centre for Climate Change