⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] some concerns about the "ensemble axis" proposal

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:30:29 -0800

Hi All,

I think that we have all agreed that there is a lot of room for
improvement in our discussion process. I doubt that any of us would
accept the depth of reasoning and testing that passes for "consensus" in
our CF discussions as an adequate level of analysis to make strategic
decisions in the projects that we manage ourselves. There is an
in-built problem in email-based, consensus-driven processes;
individuals strongly motivated by a particular new feature will be
vocal, whereas those not concerned with the feature will tune out. The
result is a bias towards "yes" votes. Considerations of the stability
and broad interoperability of the standard generally get short shrift
when measured against enthusiasm for new features. It is why we need to
constantly remind ourselves of the quotation that Russ Rew brought to
the table:

    /To create quality software [or standards], the ability to say "no"
    is usually far more important than the ability to say "yes."/

There are at least three voices expressing reservations on this issue.
There are perhaps 5 expressing go-ahead. Given the in-built biases of
the process, does this tally really represent a consensus?

Here are two questions I would like to see discussed and answered:

   1. What *is* the solution for handling multi-model grids?
      If multi-grid ensembles is a problem that we have to solve, then
      we should understand our approach before agreeing on the solution
      to the simpler sub-case of uniform grid ensembles.
   2. IMHO there is a clear and compelling need for higher order
      metadata to organize collections of CF files. Our community is
      seeing very wide use of CF in combination with THREDDS catalogs.
      Bryan has expressed reservations about the use of THREDDS
      catalogs. I do not share these reservations. In fact I think the
      current discussion illustrates the need for tools at the THREDDS
      level. What are the underlying issues? How do others feel?

Doubtless there are more questions in need of a thorough airing before
we come to a final conclusion. Shouldn't our CF discussion process
require us to make an explicit enumeration of such concerns and address
them?

    - Steve

P.S. For the record, I am *not* implacably opposed to the addition of an
ensemble axis to CF. I agree that it has significant merits.