⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Getting back to ensembles

From: Kettleborough, Jamie <jamie.kettleborough>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:17:03 +0000

Hello Paco,

how are you going to label these variables in the NetCDF file? - as per
your original proposal, or something different?

We are going to want to start to producing ensemble based files fairly
soon, probably in the late spring or early summer. We (CF community)
seem to be a bit stuck at the moment on how to represent these in a CF
way - whether to use 'standard_name', 'structure_element', or
'standard_metadata'. Given the current timescales I think we may have
to produce files with support for ensemble meta data that is not covered
by CF - our (in practice BADC's) tooling will have to support that
extension. Any advice on this welcome - is this a reasonable
approach?

Of course the Met Office Ensemble data and BADC data delivery tools
could be seen as a possible test implementation for a representation of
ensembles.

Jamie

(please don't read this as a sulk that the meta data issue has not been
resolved - I just want to try and be pragmatic and future proof
ourselves so when we have figured out how to represent ensembles within
CF we can do it with minimal effort).