⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Getting back to ensembles

From: Francisco Doblas-Reyes <Francisco.Doblas-Reyes>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:05:23 +0000

Hi,

It seems that the only point from the original message posted by Jonathan
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2006/001397.html
is the issue of whether to use the standard_name attribute or to create
a new type.

Taking into account the type of data we try to encode, I fully support
his proposal of the variable having "a dimension which serves as an
index over the members of an ensemble, in which the ensemble members are
derived from different models, integrations, institutions supplying the
data, etc., and the data from each ensemble member is a function of the
same spatio-temporal coordinates and/or other physical independent
variables".

To provide metadata identifying the members of the multi-forecast system
ensemble, the option of using "auxiliary coordinate variables (with
values not necessarily unique or ordered) with the ensemble index
dimension to contain metadata identifying the institution (string),
source (string), experiment_id (string) and realization (numeric or
string) of the data". This agrees quite well with the requirements in my
original posting:
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2006/001147.html
although additional metadata may be required.

We intend to make the string-valued metadata self-describing, and a web
site will be provided with additional information. The use of a table
specifying a string-valued "vocabulary" with attributes of the auxiliary
coordinate variables may require some additional experience and, surely,
the participation of more forecast institutions.

We plan to make available in the coming days a Thredds server with
examples of multi-forecast system files using the criteria described
above (with the standard_name attribute). This might be helpful by
providing some examples.

Best wishes
Paco
Francisco J. Doblas-Reyes