⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Getting back to ensembles

From: Francisco Doblas-Reyes <Francisco.Doblas-Reyes>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 12:13:47 +0000

Hi Jamie,

Following the pragmatic option, we have already started producing some
files. A preliminary set using DEMETER seasonal hindcasts has been
stored in the ENSEMBLES OPeNDAP server:
http://ensembles.ecmwf.int/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://ensembles.ecmwf.int/thredds/variables.xml

However, I feel happier with the headers of a slightly different set of
ensemble seasonal and interannual forecasts that will be stored very
soon in the same server. An example of the typical headers can be found
in the attachment. Of course, I used a minimal number of variables to
describe the metadata. More variables might be needed in a true
operational setup, as I suggested in my original posting.

Until the Met Office and BADC make their files available, I'm more than
happy to carry on working on the ENSEMBLES OPeNDAP server at ECMWF and
make any changes that will be necessary following the discussions in the
CF list. Furthermore, we already have some users that can test the files
I'm producing and give feedback.

Best regards,
Paco

Kettleborough, Jamie wrote:
> Hello Paco,
>
> how are you going to label these variables in the NetCDF file? - as per
> your original proposal, or something different?
>
> We are going to want to start to producing ensemble based files fairly
> soon, probably in the late spring or early summer. We (CF community)
> seem to be a bit stuck at the moment on how to represent these in a CF
> way - whether to use 'standard_name', 'structure_element', or
> 'standard_metadata'. Given the current timescales I think we may have
> to produce files with support for ensemble meta data that is not covered
> by CF - our (in practice BADC's) tooling will have to support that
> extension. Any advice on this welcome - is this a reasonable
> approach?
>
> Of course the Met Office Ensemble data and BADC data delivery tools
> could be seen as a possible test implementation for a representation of
> ensembles.
>
> Jamie
>
> (please don't read this as a sulk that the meta data issue has not been
> resolved - I just want to try and be pragmatic and future proof
> ourselves so when we have figured out how to represent ensembles within
> CF we can do it with minimal effort).
>
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 10:05 +0000, Francisco Doblas-Reyes wrote:
>> We intend to make the string-valued metadata self-describing, and a
>> web
>> site will be provided with additional information. The use of a table
>> specifying a string-valued "vocabulary" with attributes of the
>> auxiliary
>> coordinate variables may require some additional experience and,
>> surely,
>> the participation of more forecast institutions.

Francisco J. Doblas-Reyes
European Centre for Medium-Range
Weather Forecasting (ECMWF)
Shinfield Park, RG2 9AX