⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] aerosol and chemistry names - continuation

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 18:43:37 +0100

Happy new year !

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your comments.

===========
CHANGED:

surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_ozone_in_stomata
surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_ozone_into_stomata
It is still surface deposition, since plants grow at the Earth surface.

****

Chemical production and destruction both have the prefix 'gross' now.

****

hexachlorbiphenyl is changed to hexachlorobiphenyl

===========
UPDATES:

The issue of X_expressed_as_Y seams to be settled: X=Y is the standard,
and the extension _expressed_as_Y it is only added if X\=Y.
The name particulate_organic matter seams to be accepted as well.

If there are no further objections, I would like to move the following
quantities from the proposed to the almost-accepted table:

surface_dry_deposition_mass_flux_of_X
surface_wet_deposition_mass_flux_of_X
mass_fraction_ of_X_dry_aerosol_in_air
mole_fraction_of_dimethyl_sulfide_in_air
chemical_gross_production_rate_of_mole_concentration_of_X
chemical_gross_destruction_rate_of_mole_concentration_of_X

===========
DISCUSSION

Your comment:
> I am unsure what atmosphere_emission_mass_flux (and production and re_emission)
> means. I understand "emission" to mean something coming from a source with a
> fixed location.

atmosphere_emission means a source within the atmosphere, e.g. from the
surface or from an air plane.

atmosphere_production means production within the atmosphere, this
includes direct sources and chemical production from precursors.

re-emission refers to the source of a pollutant that is not directly
emitted by human activities, but re-emitted after previously being
deposited and accumulated in soils or water.

These names were understood in our community (for the HTAP experiments),
are they not clear enough?

****

Your comment on water_in_ambient_aerosol_optical_depth:

I had proposed '
<substance>_ambient_aerosol_optical_depth
as explained in an email from on 10/10/2006:
> - optical depth: ambient
>
> As the optical depth depends on the water content, the word 'ambient' avoids ambiguities.
>
> - optical depth or thickness?
>
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_X is defined by CF, however:
> 1) very long name,
> 2) does not fit with cloud_optical_depth,
> 3) is there any opt. depth not in the atmosphere?
> this is why I proposed X_aerosol_ambient_optical_depth

There were no objections to this proposal, this is why they appear in
the almost-accepted table.

water_in_ambient_aerosol_optical_depth follows this systematic, it is
the optical depth due to the water contained in aerosol.

****

I am looking forward to your comments.

Best regards,

Christiane

--
Christiane Textor
Service d'A?ronomie INSU CNRS, Tour 46, RDC # 2
Email: christiane.textor at aero.jussieu.fr