⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] axis attribute

From: Richard Gorman <r.gorman>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:06:37 +1300

Dear Jonathon,

On 23/11/2006 8:58 a.m., Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Right. I agree with that, in my alternative argument of today i.e. X and Y
> are useful to identify the horizontal coords. If X and Y are attached to
> 1D coordinate variables, then any 2D auxiliary coordinate variable which
> has those dimensions must be in the horizontal. That is a bit more work, but
> it seems more natural to me that X and Y should belong with 1D axes.

Agreed, identifying 1D coordinate variables is where the axis attribute
is useful. I'm not sure either way on the merits of axis attributes for
2D coordinate variables.

> I would say that the standard name is the right way to identify lon and lat
> specifically. Maybe we could have a convention that X-Y-up is a right-handed
> coordinate system - what do you think?

That sounds suitable to me. It allows anyone to write data on whatever
projection they use, with suitable names for the coordinate variables,
without having to expect readers to identify those coordinates by name.

Regards,
Richard

Richard Gorman
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research
PO Box 11-115, Hamilton, 3251, New Zealand
Tel: +64 7 856 1736 Mob: 021 074 7490 Fax: +64 7 856 0151
Email: r.gorman at niwa.co.nz Web: http://www.niwa.co.nz