⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] aerosol water

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:50:58 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

Jonathan Gregory a ?crit :
> Dear Christiane
>
>> *aerosol water
>> --------------
>> aerosol_water_ambient_aerosol
>> Jonathan porposed that the name should be the other way round. I do not
>> agree because a 'water aerosol' would be a hydrometeor, i.e., clouds or
>> precipitation.
>
> I think I haven't understood what this name really means, sorry to say. I
> was guessing it meant the water present in ambient aerosol. But perhaps
> that is wrong?

Yes, this is indeed what is. I agree that the name is a bit strange as
it is. It was constructed consistently to the other aerosol components:
species_<ambient/dry>_aerosol, and aerosol_water is an aerosol component
as for example dust or sea salt. A better name would probably be:

water_in_ambient_aerosol_in_air

> I agree with you about "emission".
>
>> Please note that the HTAP experiments already started. Hence, it will
>> not be possible to include all modifications resulting from our
>> discussion into the HTAP simulations.
> Could you modify the netCDF files afterwards using ncatted for instance?

I doubt this, as it would mean a lot of extra work. We have indicated on
the TFHTAP web site, that the standard_names used for chemistry and
aerosols are still under discussion. I will discuss this issue with them.