⇐ ⇒

Fwd: Re: [CF-metadata] cell metrics

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 14:57:41 -0700

Hi All,

Coming back from a few days of travel I see this lengthy thread of
discussion about cell_measure. I'd like to offer a couple of
observations -- taking on my usual role as gadfly. As background for
the philosophy that guides me here I offer this quotation that Russ Rew
presented at GO-ESSP in June:

    ... from "The Rise and Fall of CORBA" (Henning, 2006):

    *"To create quality software [or standards], the ability to say 'no'
    is usually far more important than the ability to say 'yes.'"*

OK, with that curmudgeonly start ;-) :

Some pretty basic issues have been raised here that seem to live on the
boundary between "CF conventions" and "CF standard name".

    * We are about to see the startup of a major new CF development in
      the area of so-called "unstructured grids". This was an outcome
      of the GO-ESSP meeting in June. These discussions should lead to
      a CF formulation for non-rectangular grids that includes
      reference files, testing, and a requirement that multiple
      applications can read non-rectangular grid data from CF files.
      Have these fundamental milestones been achieved at present with
      respect to any value of "nv" that is not a power of two? For
      example the nv=6 "spherical geodesic grid" of example 7.3? (It
      will be vital to know this as the unstructured grid work ramps
      up.) If a concept has been written into the CF-1.0 document, but
      barely implemented in code and the same concept is going to be
      fully developed in another area of the standard might it make
      sense to leave the door open for deprecating a (minor) part of the
      version 1.0 standard? Will it make sense to continue to allow nv
      to take on values that are not powers of two?

All I am really saying is that it is ok not to come to a decision so
quickly. This topic has been open for 24 hours and has generated 10
messages. (11 counting this curmudgeon's contribution.) Maybe it needs
a wider airing and some time to think about it in light of anticipated work.

But maybe not, too. I have not tried to follow every word of the
dialog. Just urging caution.

    - Steve