⇐ ⇒

Fwd: Re: [CF-metadata] cell metrics

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 16:24:39 +0100

Dear Christiane

> Can I conclude from your discussion that standard names describing the
> grid are to be accepted as "data variables in their own right"? This was
> demanded by the HTAP community?

I wonder whether anyone strongly disagrees. In the new CF process, as the old,
consensus should be found if possible. I think Alison will sum up, as she
posted yesterday.

> grid_cell_area
> grid_cell_height

(1) I would omit "grid" because of consistency with cell_measures and
cell_methods, and because "grid" might imply that it is only relevant for,
say, a 2D array of cells, which might not be the case; you could use such
a variable even if there were only a single cell.

(2)
> For the latter I prefer height to thickness, because it indicates a
> vertical direction.
In existing CF stdnames, "height" means distance above the surface, and
"thickness" means vertical extent, so I think this measurement is a thickness.