⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for aerosols and chemistry

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 19:24:45 +0200

Dear all,

Please find an updated version (3) of the aerosol and chemical standard
names at
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Proposed_names_for_TF_HTAP

This email is in response to the comments on standard names for aerosols
and chemistry.

*surface_emission_mass_flux
--------------------------
I do not think that the word 'emission' is generally associated only
with pollution and would like to keep the word.

 From the guideline of CF standard_names construction I cite:
"The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere."

Hence, it should be clear the emissions into the atmosphere is meant,
especially if the keyword 'positive' is set to 'upwards'

*species_as_species
-------------------
Jonathan proposed to always use the construction 'X_as_Y' in
mass fluxes of molecules, and to use instead of 'X_as_X' 'X_as_such'.
I agree and changed the table (which contains lots of 'as_such now').
This is not necessary for mercury as it is not a molecule.

*aerosol water
--------------
aerosol_water_ambient_aerosol
Jonathan porposed that the name should be the other way round. I do not
agree because a 'water aerosol' would be a hydrometeor, i.e., clouds or
precipitation.

Please note that the HTAP experiments already started. Hence, it will
not be possible to include all modifications resulting from our
discussion into the HTAP simulations. However, the aerosol and chemistry
community is becoming familiar with CF and will be use these for future
experiments.

Best regards,
Christiane

--