⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Platform Heave

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 11:03:10 -0400

Hi.

I've finally gotten back to this topic! The definitions below call out
an attribute named "direction" that is used to specify the direction for
positive values of the different quantities. We may need to add a
definition for the attribute to the Conventions. The values and meanings
for the direction attribute are:

roll: "clockwise" for positive right side up and "anticlockwise" for
positive right side down.
pitch: "clockwise" for positive nose up and "anticlockwise" for positive
nose down.
yaw: "clockwise" for positive nose right and "anticlockwise" for
positive nose left.
surge: "positive" for positive forward and "negative" for positive backward.
sway: "positive" for positive left and "negative" for positive right.
heave: "positive" for positive up and "negative" for positive down.

And here are the standard name definitions:

platform_roll: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a base
for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Roll
is a rotation about an axis (the X axis) that is perpendicular to the
local vertical axis (the Z axis) and is coplanar with the nominal
forward motion direction of the platform. Roll is relative to the ?at
rest? rotation of the platform with respect to the X axis. The ?at rest?
rotation of the platform may change over time. The direction for
positive values of roll is specified by an attribute named direction.
The value of the direction attribute is "clockwise" if positive values
of roll represent the right side of the platform rising as viewed by an
observer on top of the platform facing forward. The value of the
direction attribute is "anticlockwise" if positive values of roll
represent the right side of the platform falling. The directionality of
roll values is unspecified if no direction attribute is present.

platform_pitch: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a base
for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Pitch
is a rotation about an axis (the Y axis) that is perpendicular to both
the local vertical axis (the Z axis) and the nominal forward motion
direction of the platform. Pitch is relative to the ?at rest? rotation
of the platform with respect to the Y axis. The ?at rest? rotation of
the platform may change over time. The direction for positive values of
pitch is specified by an attribute named direction. The value of the
direction attribute is "clockwise" if positive values of pitch represent
the front of the platform rising as viewed by an observer on top of the
platform facing forward. The value of the direction attribute is
"anticlockwise" if positive values of pitch represent the front of the
platform falling. The directionality of pitch values is unspecified if
no direction attribute is present.

platform_yaw: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a base
for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Yaw is
a rotation about the local vertical axis (the Z axis). Yaw is relative
to the ?at rest? rotation of the platform with respect to the Z axis.
The ?at rest? rotation of the platform may change over time. The
direction for positive values of yaw is specified by an attribute named
direction. The value of the direction attribute is "clockwise" if
positive values of yaw represent the front of the platform moving to the
right as viewed by an observer on top of the platform facing forward.
The value of the direction attribute is "anticlockwise" if positive
values of yaw represent the front of the platform moving to the left.
The directionality of yaw values is unspecified if no direction
attribute is present.

platform_surge: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a base
for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Surge
is a displacement along an axis (the X axis) that is perpendicular to
the local vertical axis (the Z axis) and is coplanar with the nominal
forward motion direction of the platform. Surge is relative to the ?at
rest? position of the platform with respect to the X axis. The ?at rest?
position of the platform may change over time. The direction for
positive values of surge is specified by an attribute named direction.
The value of the direction attribute is "positive" if positive values of
surge represent the platform moving forward as viewed by an observer on
top of the platform facing forward. The value of the direction attribute
is "negative" if positive values of surge represent the platform moving
backward. The directionality of surge values is unspecified if no
direction attribute is present.

platform_sway: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a base
for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Sway
is a displacement along an axis (the Y axis) that is perpendicular to
both the local vertical axis (the Z axis) and the nominal forward motion
direction of the platform. Sway is relative to the ?at rest? position of
the platform with respect to the Y axis. The ?at rest? position of the
platform may change over time.? The direction for positive values of
sway is specified by an attribute named direction. The value of the
direction attribute is "positive" if positive values of sway represent
the platform moving left as viewed by an observer on top of the platform
facing forward. The value of the direction attribute is "negative" if
positive values of sway represent the platform moving right. The
directionality of sway values is unspecified if no direction attribute
is present.

platform_heave: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a base
for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Heave
is a displacement along the local vertical axis (the Z axis). Heave is
relative to the ?at rest? position of the platform with respect to the Z
axis. The ?at rest? position of the platform may change over time.? The
direction for positive values of heave is specified by an attribute
named direction. The value of the direction attribute is "positive" if
positive values of heave represent the platform moving up as viewed by
an observer on top of the platform facing forward. The value of the
direction attribute is "negative" if positive values of heave represent
the platform moving down. The directionality of heave values is
unspecified if no direction attribute is present.

platform_course: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a
base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Course
is the clockwise angle with respect to North of the nominal forward
motion direction of the platform.

platform_orientation: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as
a base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts.
Orientation is the clockwise angle with respect to North of the
longitudinal (front-to-back) axis of the platform, which may be
different than the platform course (see platform_course).

platform_roll_rate: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a
base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Roll
rate is the rate of rotation about an axis (the X axis) that is
perpendicular to the local vertical axis (the Z axis) and is coplanar
with the nominal forward motion direction of the platform. Roll rate
might not include changes in the ?at rest? rotation of the platform,
which may change over time. The direction for positive values of roll
rate is specified by an attribute named direction. The value of the
direction attribute is "clockwise" if positive values of roll rate
represent the right side of the platform rising as viewed by an observer
on top of the platform facing forward. The value of the direction
attribute is "anticlockwise" if positive values of roll rate represent
the right side of the platform falling. The directionality of roll rate
values is unspecified if no direction attribute is present.

platform_pitch_rate: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a
base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Pitch
rate is the rate of rotation about an axis (the Y axis) that is
perpendicular to both the local vertical axis (the Z axis) and the
nominal forward motion direction of the platform. Pitch rate might not
include changes in the ?at rest? rotation of the platform, which may
change over time. The direction for positive values of pitch rate is
specified by an attribute named direction. The value of the direction
attribute is "clockwise" if positive values of pitch rate represent the
front of the platform rising as viewed by an observer on top of the
platform facing forward. The value of the direction attribute is
"anticlockwise" if positive values of pitch rate represent the front of
the platform falling. The directionality of pitch rate values is
unspecified if no direction attribute is present.

platform_yaw_rate: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a
base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Yaw
rate is the rate of rotation about the local vertical axis (the Z axis).
Yaw rate might not include changes in the ?at rest? rotation of the
platform, which may change over time. The direction for positive values
of yaw rate is specified by an attribute named direction. The value of
the direction attribute is "clockwise" if positive values of yaw rate
represent the front of the platform moving to the right as viewed by an
observer on top of the platform facing forward. The value of the
direction attribute is "anticlockwise" if positive values of yaw rate
represent the front of the platform moving to the left. The
directionality of yaw rate values is unspecified if no direction
attribute is present.

platform_surge_rate: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a
base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Surge
rate is the rate of displacement along an axis (the X axis) that is
perpendicular to the local vertical axis (the Z axis) and is coplanar
with the nominal forward motion direction of the platform. Surge rate
might not include changes in the ?at rest? position of the platform,
which may change over time. The direction for positive values of surge
rate is specified by an attribute named direction. The value of the
direction attribute is "positive" if positive values of surge rate
represent the platform moving forward as viewed by an observer on top of
the platform facing forward. The value of the direction attribute is
"negative" if positive values of surge rate represent the platform
moving backward. The directionality of surge rate values is unspecified
if no direction attribute is present.

platform_sway_rate: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a
base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Sway
rate is the rate of displacement along an axis (the Y axis) that is
perpendicular to both the local vertical axis (the Z axis) and the
nominal forward motion direction of the platform. Sway rate might not
include changes in the ?at rest? position of the platform, which may
change over time. The direction for positive values of sway rate is
specified by an attribute named direction. The value of the direction
attribute is "positive" if positive values of sway rate represent the
platform moving left as viewed by an observer on top of the platform
facing forward. The value of the direction attribute is "negative" if
positive values of sway rate represent the platform moving right. The
directionality of sway rate values is unspecified if no direction
attribute is present.

platform_heave_rate: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a
base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited to,
satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and masts. Heave
rate is the rate of displacement along the local vertical axis (the Z
axis). Heave rate might not include changes in the ?at rest? position of
the platform, which may change over time. The direction for positive
values of heave rate is specified by an attribute named direction. The
value of the direction attribute is "positive" if positive values of
heave rate represent the platform moving up as viewed by an observer on
top of the platform facing forward. The value of the direction attribute
is "negative" if positive values of heave rate represent the platform
moving down. The directionality of heave rate values is unspecified if
no direction attribute is present.

Grace and peace,

Jim

Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>