⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] accessory parameters

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:55:41 -0500

Sorry, I've been trying to catch up after a long cruise and have
not gotten back to my CF folder until now.

> > Main reason I used 'oxygen probe membrane temperature' was to
> > distinguish between two temperatures (membrane and ambient water)
> > returned by some types of YSI oxygen sensor.
>
> OK. I wonder which Nan meant.

My question is about parameters that are not useful measurements
on their own, but need to be carried along for possible recalculation
of another parameter. In our case, the sea water temperature used
with conductivity to calculate salinity is a valid temperature; the
oxygen temperature is not.

I don't know if I can be more specific than this, or if there is another
way to link 2 variables so that an ancillary parameter isn't mistakenly
returned by a search. If, in Roy's example, the O2 sensor's ambient
water temperature is a valid measurement of sea water temp, that's
not a problem; I'd just like to know how to indicate that a parameter
of this kind is useful and valid - or not - on its own.

> I meant was, will they be stored with the oxygen
> concentration, or do they need to be able to be stored separately?
> Likewise, will the water temperature in the oxygen sensor be stored
> separately?

Is this linking of parameters ("stored with the oxygen concentration")
done in NetCDF? I guess that's what I'm after, or maybe a naming
convention will do.

Thanks very much - Nan

* Nan Galbraith            Upper Ocean Processes Group       *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Woods Hole, MA 02540  *
* http://uop.whoi.edu      (508) 289-2444                    *