⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Integerized Sinusoidal Grid

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:08:54 -0700

Hi Julien,

I agree the grid you describe is an example of what CF refers to as a
reduced grid. Generally the cells in a given latitude circle of a reduced
grid are all the same size, so the cell edges will not be aligned with the
cells in adjacent latitude bands that contain a different number of cells.

In addition to Jonathans suggestion of a bin_area variable, the vertices of
the bins can be attached to the lat/lon arrays using the bounds attribute.
That would look like this:

dimensions:
        Data_Bins = 5965 ;
        nver = 4;
variables:
        short mean(Data_Bins) ;
          mean:long_name = "Arithmetic mean of the geophysical variable for each bin" ;
          mean:units = "mg m-3" ;
          mean:coordinates="lat lon";
          mean:cell_measures="area: bin_area";
        float lat(Data_Bins);
          lat:units="degrees_north";
          lat:bounds="lat_bnds";
        float lon(Data_Bins);
          lon:units="degrees_east";
          lon:bounds="lon_bnds";
        float bin_area(Data_Bins);
          bin_area:units="m2";
        float lat_bnds(Data_Bins,nver);
        float lon_bnds(Data_Bins,nver);

CF places the restriction that the vertices should be ordered
anticlockwise when viewed from above, but places no restriction on the
starting vertex.

Brian