⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] change_in

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:19:35 +0000

Hi Jonathan, Burkhardt et al

I'm not sure I like the idea of using change_in in this way. (Sorry I didn't
pick up the proposal idea in the earlier email ... Can someone explain to me
(possibly again) why this isn't a tendency of something due to advection? )

1) I don't like the chances of people working with data appreciating the
difference between intensive and extensive variables.

2) Limiting the use of change_in in this way is non-intuitive, again, while
we might want to define it that way, it may get used in other ways. Not now
perhaps, but ...

3) Whether or not the thing is intensive or extensive should
be independent of whether or not it is tendency otherwise we're complicating
our vocabulary. If there we need to introduce a new qualifier that would be
cleaner ...

Bryan