⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] What do models assume for the shape of the Earth?

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:38:43 -0600

I guess you and Jonathan are making similar points. You might be right
that's the best thing to do if you have a spherical-earth model (I dont
know what GIS actually does, though, it seems more likely that they make
a correction. I will try to find out more). If you do have a high
resolution model, you are probably using an ellipsoidal earth, as Rich
Signell does. In either case, then, just using the given lat/lon would
be best, as you both suggest

Another question is which ellipsoid is being used. According to Snyder,
when US switched from NAD27 to NAD83, nearly every point in North
America got a new lat/lon, and "the difference can reach 300 m". (p 13).
So perhaps we are talking about 300 m rather than 20 km ? Rich can you
comment more on this?