⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] What do models assume for the shape of the Earth?

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:37:08 -0700

Dear all,

I also think we should discuss this further at the GO-ESSP meeting, but
just one preliminary thought ...

What would be important to know as models go to higher resolutions is
how the topography is specified in the model. My understanding is that
modelers simply transfer the latitude/longitude locations of
topographical features and surface characteristics from the
non-spherical earth to his idealized spherical model earth without
correction. Thus, surely one should simply compare modeled and observed
fields at corresponding longitudes and latitudes (without adjustment).
I don't think 20 km errors are introduced by this procedure.

Maybe I'm missing something.

cheers,
Karl