⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ocean S-coordinate respecification

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:30:41 +0100

Dear Rich

I agree with you that it would be better to replace the existing definition
of the ocean_s_coordinate with your new, less prescriptive, one. Contacting
people who might be using it would be a good idea if they aren't subscribed
to this group!

Although you're right that sigma is a special case of s, I think we can keep
sigma, just as we have both atmosphere sigma and hybrid-sigma-pressure.

In all the definitions of sigma and s for ocean we have "relative to ocean
datum (e.g. mean sea level)". Could we be more precise about these? We should
be clear what quantity the calculated z will be, and that depends on the
definition of its inputs. Would it be correct to say the heights and depths
are all wrt geoid, for instance?

Cheers

Jonathan