⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ocean S-coordinate respecification

From: Rich Signell <rsignell>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:21:24 -0400

Jonathon,

Good point. I didn't think about datums. Most ocean modelers don't
make explicit what
vertical datum they are working with, but I guess if you are thinking
about using tools
like IDV, they need to know! Usually ocean modelere work with water
depths relative
to some local geopotential, which for places like the Great Lakes could
be hundreds of
meters above the geoid.

What do you think about adding to the CF convention the specification of
a 2D variable
(function of lat, lon) called "geoid_offset" (or equivalent) that would
specify the
offset between the "local datum" (z=0) and the geoid? This would allow
people to take
advantage of new software features in tools that support CF conventions
without breaking
the tools they already have.

And while we are on the subject, are we being intentionally ambiguous by
referring
to "the geoid"? I'm thinking about NAD27, GRS80, WGS84, etc..

-Rich