⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] conditions of use (of data)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:42:46 +0100

Dear Roy

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:15:28PM +0100, Roy Lowry wrote:
> I don't agree. IPR and conditions of use are issues that are equally
> relevant to both observational and model data. Confining the solution
> to an initiative confined to modeldata would be a serious error.

OK, I hadn't thought of that.

However, another possible solution is that the standard being developed for
model "discovery" metadata, and associated issues concerning how to describe
the dataset, could be applicable to observational datasets. Katherine or Bryan
might have a view on that.

My point is that CF currently does not do much about this kind of issue. The
global attributes we have provided are quite vague. To standardise this area
would be duplicating other efforts that are going on, and that doesn't seem
like a good idea to me.