⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] conditions of use (of data)

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:07:02 +0100

Hi again,

I totally agree that defining a set of standardised structures to store
IPR information is totally outside the boundaries of CF. What we need
is a universal standard for describing IPR that may be co-opted into
other areas. This is maybe a direction in which I could steer the MBARI
Marine Metadata Initiative. I guess Catherine would be appreciate
something she could just slot into her model metadata standard without
her getting embroiled in all the IPR issues!

IPR is definitely a metadata issue for at least the medium term.
However, in the short term would it be possible to take up Bryan's
suggestion and specify/promote a CF attribute to hold an IPR URL? To my
mind the beauty of this approach is that that target could start life as
a simple text document, but could in the future be replaced by XML
conforming to whatever standard emerges. The only level of
standardisation I was envisaging here is an agreement about what such an
attribute should be called!

Cheers, Roy.