⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] The CF Standard Names

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:54:58 -0600

Jing Zhou Contractor wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am new to the list and working on a project to provide
>historical and real-time NetCDF datasets for all moored buoys
>through the NDBC dods server. When we are finalizing
>the variable names, I see the following statements from
>the CF Conventions:
>
>"A standard name is associated with a variable via the attribute
>standard_name which takes a string value comprised of a standard name
>optionally followed by one or more blanks and a standard name modifier."
>
>Internally we have discussions to use the standard names as
>the variable names, are there any issues if we go that way?
>(like too long for display?)
>
>Our pre-production datasets can be accessed at
>http://webtest.ndbc.noaa.gov
>
>We also have measurements from tide gauges with
>its description at
>http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/mapfinder/mllw.html
>
>Are there any ideas for its standard name?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jing

In any case, I think you must use the attribute

   float var(...)
      var:standard_name = "....";

should you also use them for the variable name itself?

its true _some_ display programs might have a problem with the length.

for me, I would choose the name to be most reabable and understandable
to the user who is trying to use your data. a shorter name might be
better, but the standard_name and the long_name are both helpful as s/he
browses your file.